Members of Club Ed Running (left) and members of The Janes (right) at the Redondo Beach 2011 5K.
- Redondo Beach 5 km Results and Grand Prix Results Online! The 2011 Road Running Grand Prix kicked off with some strong competition! Club Ed Running versus The Janes! Club Ed Running members Humberto Sanchez (M-35 16:25) and John Megeff (M-47 16:40) won the mens open and masters division, while The Janes champion Tania Fischer (F-44 17:44) won both the open and masters womens division! While Club Ed Running takes the win in the club division, with 4231 points to the 4166 scored by The Janes, The Janes took four of the top five finishing positions! Breaking this complete sweep was second place finisher Alison Atkinson (F-44 17:57), of Club Ed Running! Rounding out the team competition was Cal Coast Track Club, placing 3rd with 3934 points.
- Complete USATF 5 km Results Available now! If you did not get a chance to pick up your medal last Sunday, official USATF Association Championship medals will be sent out next week!
- Next race! The 2011 Brea 8K: Classic Celebrate the 20th anniversary of this amazing 8 km! Bigger, better, with a new post-race feast for runners! The most delicious finish line feast in the OC has been expanded for this celebration! First time ever at the Brea 8K: Chip Timing!! Mail-in entries are due by February 18, 2011! If you won a FREE entry, get it in the mail ASAP!!
- USATF Southern California Members Win National USA Half Marathon National Titles in Houston Texas!: Mohamed Trafeh (Duarte) and Jen Rhines (Mammoth Lakes) win the national USA Half Marathon Championship titles on January 30, running 1:02:17 and 1:11:14 respectively! So Cal members may recall the Rhines ran in the Santa Monica 5000 Grand Prix race last year, and Trafer was the 2008 USATF Southern California 10 km Champion. Check out this video interview with Mo from 2008!
- USATF Southern California Members Dominate 2011 USA Cross Country Championships: Compex Racing and So Cal Track Club stormed the competition with commanding wins in San Diego on February 5, 2011. The top three finishers in the masters competition were Peter Magill (M-49 26:17), Gray Mavhera (M-41 26:38) and Christian Cushing-Murray (M-43 26:46). With 2 teams in the 40+ division, Compex Racing took both the 1st and 3rd place finishing positions. Also competing in the 40+ division were 4th place finishers Santa Barbara Athletic Association, and 6th place finishers, So Cal Track Club. In the 50+ division, So Cal Track Club took 1st place, and Team Runners High followed in 2nd place. In the womens masters competition, Tania Fischer (F-44 30:36) of The Janes won 3rd overall. Fischer raced on February 5th, one day before winning the Redondo Beach 5 km on February 6th! And included in the top-ten masters finishers was Rosalva Bonilla (F-48 33:05), with an 8th place finish.
- 2011 Road Running Grand Prix Awards Photos Needed!: We missed the opportunity to get photos of the 2011 Road Running Grand Prix awards ceremony on February 6! If you have some photos, please email Wayne Joness, and we can add these to the website, and perhaps print them in a future issue of California Track & Running News! Thanks!
- Thank You! And a general shout-out to everyone who helped with the Redondo Beach 5 km - Dale Campbell stepping into his news shoes as Masters LDR chair, Lily Zepeda for the video interviews, with help from Alex Breckenridge, Bert Whitson for forthcoming race photos, and Nicole Luque for scoring the Redondo Beach 5 km!
See you at the starting line!
Chair, Southern California USATF Open Athletics LDR